Despite its out-of-the-way location, this delightful museum is well worth a visit, presenting 5 centuries of decorative ceramic tiles, tracing the history and production of the art form.
Its collection is the only of its kind in the world and contains a splendid array of tiles from as early as the 15th century along with displays on how they’re made.
It’s housed in the monastic buildings of Madre de Deus Convent which after renovation following the Earthquake had its interior turned into one of the most magnificent in the city. The splendor and opulence of the chapel dedicated to St. Anthony and the chapter house is particularly impressive. Noteworthy amid the rich decoration are panels in the ceiling with gilt frames set with paintings. The highlight of the museum is a blue and white composition of 1300 tiles of Lisbon’s cityscape made in 1738.
Rua Madre de Deus, 4, Lisbon, Portugal